[SOLVED] Control Word MailMerge from Excel - Page 2

"Excel VBA Help"

Play Friv Now - Play Friv Games
Go Back   The Code Cage Forums > Microsoft Topics > Microsoft Excel Forum
Our Info Pages:-
The Code Cage - Microsoft Office help

Notices

Microsoft Excel Forum Members Post questions in this forum if they are related to using Microsoft Excel, this includes Worksheet Functions, Excel VBA Programming, Simple Macro Code & Charting, Excel formula etc.

Old 17th January 2014, 10:14
Forum VIP
MS Office Version: > Office 97
MS Office Skill Level: Interested

Posts Per Day: 0.57
My Top Tip Count: 0
Thanks to others: 0
Reputation: 5076 (70) snb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Control Word MailMerge from Excel

------ Register to get rid of these "In Post" ads! ------

I offered you a much simpler approach.

The Following User Says Thank You to snb For This Useful Post:
Rjqman (25th January 2014)
The Code Cage Advertisment
Advertisement
Old 25th January 2014, 17:47
MS Office Version: MS Office 2003, 2007
MS Office Skill Level: Proficient with Excel

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks to others: 5
USA

Hello again. I have continued to experiment, and I have found a way to have Excel access the Microsoft Word document with NO pop-ups. I went back to the original concept with some modification based on what I have learned with your help.

As an aside - during testing on other computers, I also found I had to add some code that runs before this macro in order to insure that 1) access to the Visual Basic Library is authorized and 2) That the Reference Library for Microsoft Word was loaded, but that is another subject. I am enclosing the code below - so far it seems to be working on every computer, and the user does not have to take any action whatsoever other than to launch the macro.

This code is burdened with my msgboxes for the end user of the program, entitled 'SureScore,' and are probably meaningless to you - but my end users are not experienced in any computer applications, and so I tried to word the messages to maximize their understanding. I usually clear the screen before posting messages to make them easier to read.

The notes at the end of each line of code explain why I put the code there - the notes are for my benefit as much as anyone else so I don't forget what I am doing! Getting old is such a joy (but I guess, as they say, it beats the alternative).

I am posting the code for two reasons - 1) So that you can let me know if you see any problems that I have not seen, and 2) Because I have seen the question of the pop-up asking the user to confirm the source of the data on many other Excel support websites, and never found an answer - the answer has always been that there is no way around it - but there is a way around it. Perhaps this solution I stumbled on could help someone else.

I am very thankful for your help. It is very much appreciated.

VBA CODE:
Sub Create_Labels() 
     '
    Dim i As Integer 
    Dim sPath As String 
    Dim WrdApp As Word.Application 
    Dim WrdDoc As Object 
    Dim wbName As String 
     '
On Error Goto ErrHandler: 
     '
     '   ============================== Clear Screen =========================================
    If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized 
    If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized 
     '   =====================================================================================
     '
    sPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path ' This statement establishes the location of SureScore
    wbName = sPath & "\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name ' This statement establishes the current name of SureScore
     '
     '   =========== CHECK TO MAKE CERTAIN LABEL_TEMPLATE.DOC IS IN THIS DIRECTORY ===========
     '
    If Dir(sPath & "\" & "Label_Template.doc") <> "" Then 
    Else 
        MsgBox "OOPS!  SureScore cannot locate the Microsoft Word Document titled 'Label_Template.doc'.  This document provides the format information required in order to generate your sheet labels." & vbLf & vbLf & _ 
        "The pre-formatted 'Label_Template' document is provided by " & Range("Org") & ".  If you did not receive the 'Label_Template.doc' document along with SureScore, a copy is available on the Show Host Information page of the website.  The document MUST be in the same location ( or in the same folder ) as SureScore in order for SureScore to access it." & vbLf & vbLf & "SureScore will cancel this operation.", 0, "SURESCORE ERROR NOTIFICATION" 
         '
         '   ============================= Restore Screen ========================================
        If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 
        If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 
         '   =====================================================================================
         '
        Exit Sub 
    End If 
     '
    MsgBox "The next operation may take a few moments. Some brief images and screen 'flicker' as a Microsoft Word document is created during this process is normal. Please be patient.", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
     '
    Set WrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application") ' This statement uses the Object Library to open Word
    WrdApp.Visible = True ' This statment insures Word screen is visible to the user
    WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 2 ' This statement minimizes the Word display screen
    Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\Label_Template.doc") ' This statment opens the Template
    With WrdApp 
        .DisplayAlerts = 0 
        .Application.WindowState = 2 ' This minimizes the Word display screen in the event user had redisplayed it
        .ScreenUpdating = False ' This freezes the screen to speed up the macro
        .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = 3 ' This defines the MailMerge document as a 'Directory' document
        .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _ 
        wbName, _ 
        ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _ 
        AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", _ 
        WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _ 
        Format:=0, Connection:= _ 
        "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=wbName;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=""HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35" _ 
        , SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `__A_Label_Table`", SQLStatement1:="", _ 
        SubType:=1 ' This defines the source for the MailMerge Directory
         '
        With WrdApp.ActiveDocument.MailMerge 
            .Destination = wdSendToNewDocument ' This tells MailMerge to create a new document
            .SuppressBlankLines = True ' This supresses blank lines
            With .DataSource 
                .FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord 
                .LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord 
            End With 
            .Execute Pause:=False ' This executes the MailMerge without pausing between entries
            .Application.WindowState = 2 
        End With 
        .ActiveDocument.SaveAs Filename:=sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc", FileFormat _ 
        :=wdFormatDocument, LockComments:=False, Password:="", AddToRecentFiles:= _ 
        True, WritePassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, EmbedTrueTypeFonts:= _ 
        False, SaveNativePictureFormat:=False, SaveFormsData:=False, _ 
        SaveAsAOCELetter:=False ' This defines the name of the new My_Show_Labels Document
        .ActiveDocument.Close (-1) '(wdSaveChanges)                        ' This saves the new My_Show_Labels document
        .ActiveDocument.Close (0) '(wdDoNotSaveChanges)                     ' This closes the Template, restoring it to its original condition
        .ScreenUpdating = True ' This resets the screen updating
    End With 
     '
    If MsgBox("SureScore has generated a Ready-to-Print sheet of standard 1 inch by 2-5/8 inch mailing labels for your show. Do you want to view the labels at this time?", vbYesNo, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION") = vbYes Then 
        Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc") 
        MsgBox "To print your labels now, use the Microsoft Word Print commands." & vbLf & vbLf & "Be certain to close Microsoft Word after viewing and/or printing the labels to free more computer memory for SureScore", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False 
        ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized ' This statement makes certain that Excel is fully visible when Word is closed later
        WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 1 ' This maximizes Word application for viewing in front of Excel in window
    Else 
        MsgBox "Your ready-to-print sheet of labels will be saved in the same folder as SureScore in Microsoft Word format under the name My_Show_Labels." & vbLf & vbLf & _ 
        "(NOTE - You can access this Microsoft Word document later directly without opening SureScore if you wish to print your labels at another time).", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
        WrdApp.Quit ' This closes the Word application
        ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized ' This restores the window for viewing Excel
    End If 
     '
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True 
    Set WrdDoc = Nothing 
    Set WrdApp = Nothing 
    Exit Sub 
     '
ErrHandler: 
    MsgBox "SureScore has encountered an unspecified error and cannot generate your sheet labels.  You can close Excel and then use the Microsoft Word Mailmerge Feature and access the hidden SureScore File '_A_LABEL_TABLE' to generate your labels.", 0, "SURESCORE ERROR NOTIFICATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
    Set WrdDoc = Nothing 
    Set WrdApp = Nothing 
    Application.WindowState = xlMaximized 
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 

End Sub 

The Following User Says Thank You to Rjqman For This Useful Post:
Simon Lloyd (25th January 2014)
Advertisement
Old 26th January 2014, 11:34
Forum VIP

Reputation: 5076 (70) snb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond reputesnb has a reputation beyond repute

There is a simpler way to suppress the SQL popup:
Check your Office version (in this example 11.0) first.

VBA CODE:
Sub M_suppress() 
    CreateObject("Wscript.shell").regwrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options\SQLSecurityCheck", 1, "REG_DWORD" 
End Sub 

Old 29th January 2014, 23:11

USA

With your suggested approach, the problem would be that I do not know what version of Excel or of Office that the end user has, so I cannot specify the version in the program.

I am satisfied with the solution I now have. It appears to work on every computer where I have tested it.

I did not reproduce it here but I check for the Word Object Library and uses the GUID to activate it if it is not already active. I believe the entire thing runs now without the user having to intervene at any point (unless access to the Basic Project has not been granted - if that is the case he or she gets and error message and instructions on how to activate the access).

I also had to add code at the beginning to close Word in case the user had left a previous copy of the document My_Show_Labels open - I found the program crashed if the user tried to run the macro and recreate the document when a copy was already open (no problem if it existed - just if it was open). I added this near the beginning to change the error handler to skip the statement if the word document was not open, and then to go to the original error handler after the check had been made.

Thank you again for the help. Just for the record, I listed the additional lines of code that I added just before the location where the old error hander was originally located below;

On Error Resume Next
GetObject(, "Word.Application").Quit False
On Error GoTo ErrHandler:

Old 30th January 2014, 10:00
Forum VIP

Quote:
With your suggested approach, the problem would be that I do not know what version of Excel or of Office that the end user has, so I cannot specify the version in the program.

You can check that, using VBA.

The Following User Says Thank You to snb For This Useful Post:
Rjqman (1st February 2014)
Advertisement
Old 1st February 2014, 02:38

USA

In response, I am sure you are correct that there is a way to discern what version of word or office is being used - other parts of my program determine what version of Excel is being used and adjust the reference notes based on the version. However, I now think I have something that is working, and as long as it works, I am satisfied with the solution. No pop-ups. No user interface required - just start the macros and it runs itself. I did use a macro to close all Word documents (which prevents an error when the program tries to save a document under the name of an existing document t of the same name that is open) and also a macro to determine if access to the VBA code is permitted and instructions on how to permit access, which varies depending on the version of excel - the correct msgbox explains how to authorize access depending on the version of excel, but I am not including all that here. Just the label printing stuff.

With my prior solution, which involved early binding (I didn't even know what that was a week ago). I ran into a problem on one computer where Microsoft Word Object Library Missing was checked - even though I tried to use VBA to delete the checked missing item, I was not able to delete it. I noticed some others had experienced that as well - it is hard to delete a 'missing' reference in the reference library - I never did find a way that worked reliably.

So I switched everything to late binding so that I did not have to mess around with insuring that the Microsoft Word object library was activated at all, and that seems to work fine with no glitches on every computer I have tested the program with. I will send it out for some more testing the next couple of weeks.

Again, in case someone is facing the same problems I faced - fundamentally just trying to get rid of the pop-ups when controlling Word mail merge from Excel, I am going to post what I hope is the final revision of my code. I realize the msgbox notes are extensive, but hopefully they will help my 'soccer mom' users to understand what the program does, and the comment (') notes are to help me remember what the heck I did as well as hopefully help someone else in the future who may want to adapt this solution to their own problems.

Thanks again to you both.

VBA CODE:

Sub FMBC_10_C07_Create_Labels() 
     '
    Dim i As Integer 
    Dim sPath As String 
    Dim WrdApp As Object ' This is done for 'late binding' - used in this sub (Object rather than dimensioning as an Application)
    Dim WrdDoc As Object 
    Dim wbName As String 
     '
    On Error Resume Next 
     '
     '   ============================== Clear Screen =========================================
    If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized 
    If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized 
     '
    sPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path ' This statement establishes the location of SureScore
    wbName = sPath & "\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name ' This statement establishes the current name of SureScore
     '
     '   =========== CHECK TO MAKE CERTAIN LABEL_TEMPLATE.DOC IS IN THIS DIRECTORY ===========
     '
On Error Goto ErrHandler: 
    If Dir(sPath & "\" & "Label_Template.doc") <> "" Then 
    Else 
        MsgBox "OOPS!  SureScore cannot locate the Microsoft Word Document titled 'Label_Template.doc'.  This document provides the format information required in order to generate your sheet labels." & vbLf & vbLf & _ 
        "The pre-formatted 'Label_Template' document is provided by " & Range("Org") & ".  If you did not receive the 'Label_Template.doc' document along with SureScore, a copy is available on the Show Host Information page of the website.  The document MUST be in the same location ( or in the same folder ) as SureScore in order for SureScore to access it." & vbLf & vbLf & "SureScore will cancel this operation.", 0, "SURESCORE ERROR NOTIFICATION" 
         '
         '   ============================= Restore Screen ========================================
        If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 
        If ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Then ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 
         '
        Exit Sub 
    End If 
     '
    MsgBox "The next operation may take a few moments. Some brief images and screen 'flicker' as a Microsoft Word document is created during this process is normal. Please be patient.", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
     '

Set WrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application") ' This is 'late binding' for Word (it required all wd items to be converted to numbers)
    WrdApp.Visible = True ' This statment insures Word screen is visible to the user
    WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 2 ' This statement minimizes the Word display screen
    Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\Label_Template.doc") ' This statment opens the Template
    With WrdApp 
        .DisplayAlerts = 0 
        .Application.WindowState = 2 ' This minimizes the Word display screen in the event user had redisplayed it
        .ScreenUpdating = False ' This freezes the screen to speed up the macro
        .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = 3 ' This defines the MailMerge document as a 'Directory' document
        .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _ 
        wbName, _ 
        ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _ 
        AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", _ 
        WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _ 
        Format:=0, Connection:= _ 
        "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=wbName;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=""HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35" _ 
        , SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `__A_Label_Table`", SQLStatement1:="", _ 
        SubType:=1 ' This defines the source for the MailMerge Directory
         '
        With WrdApp.ActiveDocument.MailMerge 
            .Destination = 0 ' This tells MailMerge to create a new document
            .SuppressBlankLines = True ' This supresses blank lines
            With .DataSource 
                .FirstRecord = 1 
                .LastRecord = -16 
            End With 
            .Execute Pause:=False ' This executes the MailMerge without pausing between entries
            .Application.WindowState = 2 
        End With 
        .ActiveDocument.SaveAs Filename:=sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc", FileFormat _ 
        :=0, LockComments:=False, Password:="", AddToRecentFiles:= _ 
        True, WritePassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, EmbedTrueTypeFonts:= _ 
        False, SaveNativePictureFormat:=False, SaveFormsData:=False, _ 
        SaveAsAOCELetter:=False ' This defines the name of the new My_Show_Labels Document
        .ActiveDocument.Close (-1) '(wdSaveChanges)                        ' This saves the new My_Show_Labels document
        .ActiveDocument.Close (0) '(wdDoNotSaveChanges)                     ' This closes the Template, restoring it to its original condition
        .ScreenUpdating = True ' This resets the screen updating
    End With 
     '
    If MsgBox("SureScore has generated a Ready-to-Print sheet of standard 1 inch by 2-5/8 inch mailing labels for your show. Do you want to view the labels at this time?", vbYesNo, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION") = vbYes Then 
        Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc") 
        MsgBox "You can make any minor changes to the labels you wish for clarity.  However, if you regenerate the labels, those changes will be lost." & vbLf & vbLf & "To print your labels now, use the Microsoft Word Print commands." & vbLf & vbLf & "Be certain to close Microsoft Word after viewing and/or printing the labels to free more computer memory for SureScore", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False 
        ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized ' This statement makes certain that Excel is fully visible when Word is closed later
        WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 1 ' This maximizes Word application for viewing in front of Excel in window
    Else 
        MsgBox "Your ready-to-print sheet of labels will be saved in the same folder as SureScore in Microsoft Word format under the name My_Show_Labels." & vbLf & vbLf & _ 
        "(NOTE - You can access this Microsoft Word document later directly without opening SureScore if you wish to print your labels at another time).", 0, "SURESCORE USER INFORMATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
        WrdApp.Quit ' This closes the Word application
        ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized ' This restores the window for viewing Excel
    End If 
     '
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True 
    Set WrdDoc = Nothing 
    Set WrdApp = Nothing 
    Exit Sub 
     '
ErrHandler: 
    MsgBox "SureScore has encountered an unspecified error and cannot generate your sheet labels.  You can close Excel and then use the Microsoft Word Mailmerge Feature and access the hidden SureScore File '_A_LABEL_TABLE' to generate your labels.", 0, "SURESCORE ERROR NOTIFICATION - PRINTING LABELS" 
    Set WrdDoc = Nothing 
    Set WrdApp = Nothing 
    Application.WindowState = xlMaximized 
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized 
     '
End Sub 

Old 3rd March 2014, 19:59

USA

Since I received no further replies, and I believe this code is working, I am going to mark the thread as closed. Thanks again for the assistance.

Advertisement

The Code Cage at Facebookhe Code Cage at Twitter

Tags
control, excel, mailmerge, word

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: