VBA Cleanup Project. - Page 2

"Excel VBA Help"

Play Friv Now - Play Friv Games
Go Back   The Code Cage Forums > Microsoft Topics > Microsoft Excel Forum
Our Info Pages:-
The Code Cage - Microsoft Office help

Notices

Microsoft Excel Forum Members Post questions in this forum if they are related to using Microsoft Excel, this includes Worksheet Functions, Excel VBA Programming, Simple Macro Code & Charting, Excel formula etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20th October 2011, 01:51
The Code Cage Staff
MS Office Version: Excel 2007 @ home & 2010 @ work
MS Office Skill Level: Can use VBA

Posts Per Day: 0.24
My Top Tip Count: 0
Thanks to others: 15
Reputation: 801 (24) broro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to behold
New_Zealand
Default Re: VBA Cleanup Project.

------ Register to get rid of these "In Post" ads! ------

hi Lisa

- Here's a "Macro Time Trial" timing addin (http://www.xl-logic.com/modules.php?...=getit&lid=176) that I saw during the weekend from a page on Aaron Blood's site which uses QueryPerformanceTimer.
I'm using timeGetTime but that is only because it was used in the base code I found on the web (referenced in the cls file). My timer code in the uploaded class module is probably inefficient due to bloat and trying to do too much in one go, or using the wrong approach (eg recordsets versus collections v dictionaries), but the code is very much incomplete, it is a work in progress (aka on the backburner!), even if the last change I logged was on the 15th of July!
The attached file has all the code, BUT please be wary as this is my first ever attempt at a class module so it may be even more of a mess than I recognise or can comprehend!
In fact, it may be messy enough to stop you drooling.
A triple hash ("###") is my symbol for "to do" or error! and I think it appears a few times. Also, I've included a number of weblinks below the code which may be of more interest than the code itself. A triple hash ("###") is my symbol for "to do" or error! and I think it appears a few times.
(Simon/Roy, do you think my timer module is worth putting in its own discussion thread?)

- Yes, they are good sites. I haven't spent much time on Stephen's site but I frequently go back to Chip's & distribute links to some of his pages.

- Stephen's the man to ask (I think one of my emails to him got lost in cyberspace a while ago), but now, I'm about to use phrases I've read but haven't experienced, could it be that the global variables "moKeys", "mbRegistered" & the "HookInfo" UDT are losing state/being reset for some reason during your VBE work. I think I've read comments about "sub-classing the VBE window" somewhere... perhaps it was on Carlo's MZ-Tools site?

- "RefreshAllXlAppSettings" may be slightly misleading actually because it only changes a few selected settings and in my personal.xlsb it is actually called "RefreshXlApp" ;-)
It's not very bulletproof & I don't know how compatible it is across excel releases (I'm in excel 2007).
VBA CODE:
Option Explicit 
Public glb_origCalculationMode As Long 
Public glb_origStatusBar As String 
Sub RefreshXlApp() 
    With Application 
        .EnableEvents = True 
        On Error Resume Next 'I can't remember why I added this error masking wrapper & I should probably get rid of it!?
        .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic 
        On Error Goto 0 
        .StatusBar = False 
        .ScreenUpdating = True 
        .DisplayFormulaBar = True 
         'to overcome mischievous workmates who have a penchant for trying to make dictator app's!
        .ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",True)" 
    End With 
End Sub 

Sub ToggleRefreshXlApp(RefreshAppSettings As Boolean, Optional ByRef xlApp As Excel.Application) 
     'partially portable (it's still early bound) for use from MS Access
    If xlApp Is Nothing Then 
        Set xlApp = Excel.Application 
    End If 
    With xlApp 
        If Not RefreshAppSettings Then 
            glb_origCalculationMode = .Calculation 
            glb_origStatusBar = .StatusBar 
        End If 
        .EnableEvents = RefreshAppSettings 
        On Error Resume Next 
         '        .Calculation = IIf(RefreshAppSettings, glb_origCalculationMode, xlCalculationManual)
        .Calculation = IIf(RefreshAppSettings, xlCalculationAutomatic, xlCalculationManual) 
        On Error Goto 0 
        .StatusBar = IIf(RefreshAppSettings, vbNullString, CBool(glb_origStatusBar)) 
        .ScreenUpdating = RefreshAppSettings 
    End With 
    Set xlApp = Nothing 
End Sub 

- ahhh, naming conventions... you've busted me!
Nope, a quick glance at any of my code & you will see a lack of consistency. I don't use the traditional Hungarian style as I've been swayed by my (completely unrelated) Physical Education degree where I learnt about "person first terminology". Person first terminology is a principle of stating the important aspect (ie person) first, for example, "people with disabilities" rather than "disabled people". Now, some may say that it is just semantics but I believe in its use is valid in many situations, although I do also see the validity of some of the points raised by critics. Anyway, I've tried to carry this principle into my coding by attempting to identify the most important aspect first using descriptive variable names, and then occasionally (?) using two or three letter suffixes such as _ws, _wb, Rng, Arr (array) etc as further clarification. My examples show a further lack of consistency in my mixed use of underscores &/or camel case naming. This lack of consistency is emphasised even more when I copy and paste from the web!
This is part of the reason I haven't tried some of your code - so I'm still a sod at the moment!

- Yes, I've used the two passes method once or twice. D i ck shows an alternative way using Mod in Daily Dose of Excel Blog Archive Redim an Array.
unfortunately I think Aaron's code is a better timer because it is simple to use & flexible with the dropdowns.

- writing a procedure is a good idea - I'm guessing it will involve Instr?

Rob
Attached Files To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Code Cage Advertisment
Advertisement
Old 20th October 2011, 10:08
Solution Centre Professional
MS Office Version: 2003 onwards
MS Office Skill Level: Competent technician

Posts Per Day: 0.31
My Top Tip Count: 2
Thanks to others: 0
Reputation: 1963 (35) Rory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant future
2 Top Tips
Northern_Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGreen View Post

and also "preserve" don't play nice with multidim arrays very well.

You may wish to use a 1D array of arrays instead in those circumstances, or a Dictionary, which is lightweight and flexible - as long as you don't need Mac compatibility anyway (If you do, you'll probably want to write your own hashtable class)

Always listen to advice, even if you don't take it.

Advertisement

To stop seeing these ads and get other benefits check This page!

Old 20th October 2011, 13:06
MS Office Version: MS Office 97, 2003, 2007,2010

My Top Tip Count: 1
Thanks to others: 9
Reputation: 270 (14) LisaGreen is a jewel in the roughLisaGreen is a jewel in the roughLisaGreen is a jewel in the rough
1 Top Tips
Great_Britain

Rob,

The coincidence is pretty unbelievable. I too have two days ago started with classes.. and I too use ### to mark pieces that need attention!! WOW!! Scary or what!

I've downloaded the timer and will have a look at it. You're making me work!!

I've sent Stephen an email and hope he has the time to respond but yhour suggesation is a good one and I'll insert some debug.prints using my utils to see if I can check.

Thanks for the RefreshXlApp code!

I've not heard of "person first terminology" before though some might say that typing the variable could be the important thing about it .

I was looking at some of D i c k s blogs yesterday and following a link from there, am thinking of using the class module.. if I can figure out how.. from Karl Perterson for INI files. MZTools uses INI files so I'd be in good company.

Probably would involve instr yeah... I've had to write other instrs though to skip text in double quotes and so on.

Gonna look at your stuff later this afternoon after some house thingies.

Hugs
Lisa

------------------------------ posted before receiving a reply after 13 minutes of original post ------------------------------

Aflatoon,

You guys are really pushing my limits!! A dictionary soiunds nice but I've never used one so will do some "research". To the internet!! More reading!!!

Can a dictionary hold arrays? I *think* that dictionaries come out sorted.. possibly one reason they're called dictionaries , that would be a bonus in some cases, but I deliberateley use non sorted in some places.

An array of arrays... hmmmm.. never done that either!! would I use variants for that?

I'm also going to check out a the link Rob sent about arrays. I do use some of Chips array routines actually, they're good!

Hugs... Lisa.

Last edited by LisaGreen; 20th October 2011 at 13:06.

Old 20th October 2011, 13:40

Reputation: 1963 (35) Rory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant futureRory has a brilliant future
2 Top Tips
Northern_Ireland

Scripting Guys intro to the Dictionary is here.

When using an array of arrays, you need a variant (array) for the container array, but the sub arrays can be typed.

Always listen to advice, even if you don't take it.

Old 23rd October 2011, 16:22

Reputation: 270 (14) LisaGreen is a jewel in the roughLisaGreen is a jewel in the roughLisaGreen is a jewel in the rough
1 Top Tips
Great_Britain

Rob,

I forgot to mention that one of my routines will insert prefixes for you as long as there's a dim for it. It takes the item before "As" as the type and then inserts a prefix according to my scheme... but you can change that if you like.

Next I'll be working on an INI file to hold personal preferences like that.

You'll find a list of the procedures and their heading comments on page 2 of the project. I used a "dump" routine to create it. That's in the subDump module.

At the moment, inspired by your code, I'm finalising a procedure to split long comments up into ~ 60 chrs so they'll fit in the code pane!

Hugs... Lisa

Advertisement

To stop seeing these ads and get other benefits check This page!

Old 25th October 2011, 23:50
The Code Cage Staff

Reputation: 801 (24) broro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to beholdbroro183 is a splendid one to behold
New_Zealand

hi Lisa,

Quote:
inspired by your code...

Do you really mean "inspired" or is that a euphemism for "being driven to it" by my code?

Rob

Old 26th October 2011, 12:32

1 Top Tips
Great_Britain

LMAO!!!

Nah..... it was something I wanted to do anyway. I think some people may code up in a different editor to the VBE because I've seen long comments a number of times.

I hate having to scroll to the right!... did I say I was lazy? I usually split them up with a bunch of continuation characters.. which is easy peasy. A continuation character will continue the comment to the next line without having to put a new comment character in. Not many people know that . But!! There is a limit of 14.. or it bay be 13.. can't remember now.. to the number of continuation characters.. which I've hit a few times in my procedures.

Sooo... your long comments, though not all that long gave me the opportunity to create!
The split proceedure puts a comment character at the start of each line, There is a single space then for the start of the comment and two spaces for lines that are split.
If it's an end of line comment, the code is put underneath the split.. or not.. comment.

I looked at the Prefixing procedure after I mentioned it to you and wasn't happy with it... instr probs again... So I rewrote it.

I think that it would be possible to adapt to make the prefix a suffix if you want me to give it a go!

Anyway the new add in is uploaded for your amusement

Many hugs... Lisa

Old 14th November 2011, 18:08

1 Top Tips
Great_Britain

Rob,

I'm going to be using your timing class. I've got it to report the start time to the immediate window but not the end time.

I want to use it to time wether it's faster to look through a one time built array or going through the projects again and again to get project/module/procedure lists. I suspect the array is slower.

What's the "split time" stuff about please and the "interval"?

Do you have any descriptions of the various methods/properties lying around at all?

The sites you mention in the code have been very useful!

I'm also going to use it as source to help do some code formatting... splitting single line Ifs and so on. It's already been very helpful in that sense to "tune" my InstallDims for someone elses code!!!.. though it gets a bit confused when it comes across a variable called "i" defined as Long

I've taken out the condition for applications and am doing an Instr on Application.Name for Excel and so on and am stripping out things I don't understand or probably shouldn't be there like some "Stop" lines.... hope you don't mind

I'll probably post the latest add in update later this week if I can.

And just to say thanks for your help so far...

Hugs
Lisa

Advertisement
Old 17th November 2011, 03:51
The Code Cage Staff

New_Zealand

hi Lisa,

Sorry, I haven't responded sooner. I've been busy with a little Gremlin!
My wife & I now have our first child/gremlin, a 15 day old daughter, Evelyn Anne Brockett

ummm, regarding the different methods/properties, what's in the code is all I have created. Some of the blocks are lucky enough to be prefixed with "obj" (objective) statements, otherwise I'm relying on the "meaningful name" concept!

It's a work in progress class that is getting a bit dusty as it sits on the backburner and I can't remember the differences between "split time" v "interval". I think one was my original approach that I decided to change & subsequently used the other name, but I'm not sure...
Perhaps I even intended for one to be an ongoing time since the last split (which will keep changing ms by ms - like when you glance at a running stopwatch on your wrist), with the other being the calculated time between two splits which won't change.

After you call StopWatch, you can get the total time by checking the StopTime or DateTimeStopped properties.

I reckon the array may beat the repeated looping through the projects but I think that Aflatoon's suggestion of a dictionary would be even better. Here are two links which I may or may not have previously included:
- Google for "VBA Code Documentor 5.0 by Rob Bovey" because although version 5.04 is now downloaded as an exe Code Documentor , I think 5.0 gives access to the source code.
- Using the Dictionary Class in VBA - Dictionary, Scripting, Microsoft, Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, VB, VBA, Scripting Runtime, Excel, Access, Word, Office

Yeah, why not make a challenge - a suffix option sounds good to me ;-)

I've probably missed lots of your comments but I should go to bed since tomorrow/today is my first day back at work.

Rob

Old 17th November 2011, 07:31

2 Top Tips
Northern_Ireland

Congratulations, Rob!
Hope she sleeps better than my son - now 3.5 months and still rarely goes more than 3 hours at a time.
Regards,
aflatoon

Advertisement

The Code Cage at Facebookhe Code Cage at Twitter

Tags
cleanup, project, vba

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: